Saturday, September 6, 2008

In plane language - moon walks

Lately I’ve been obsessed with form. Not any particular form. Just a sense of visual balance. Tonight I was thinking of “form is empty of form”. I recalled that this was a line of the Heart Sutra - The Great Mother Prajnaparamita. But just to be sure, I decided to google Heart Sutra to get the exact phrase. Then I remembered: I don’t have internet here. Luckily, I had the original text upstairs on a shelf. But then I realized I did not have to go get it because I knew the sutra (almost) by… heart (in fact I get mixed up when Avalokiteshvara starts listing all these things...).

Well, in fact the sutra says something else: “form is emptiness, emptiness is also form”.

So what to make of “form is empty of form”? Where did that come from? Did I make it up? I doubt it. Probably sumthin’ floatin’ ‘round that ol’ mindstream o’ mine. So at this point the best thing to do would be to just look at the goddam text. Surrender to the source. But no, I was sure in my guts that “form is empty of form” was not in that Sutra. It was somewhere else.

While I write this, behind me, inside of Smiley's Saloon, someone is blasting ACDC's Hell Bells.

(Click "Shaky Moon" above to see more pictures, then hit F11 for full-screen)

No comments: